The user Documents and Templates section of AdviceOS is broken down into three main pages, which can be found by navigating to Settings > Templates and Field Management > User Documents and Templates.
The three main areas of this section include:
- User Documents
- User Templates
- User Template Links
This guide will go into detail these three areas of AdviceOS and their purpose.
1. User Documents
This section of AdviceOS is used specifically to upload documents that may be relevant to your Licensee, Practice or User. It can be a centralised location for quick access to any files that may be relevant and uploaded at the specific level that suits the document.
Note that this section is not client specific. Navigating between different clients will not change the files you see here. For client specific documents you will need to navigate to client records.
User documents consists of four levels within the document section, including Midwinter > Licensee > Practice > Adviser.
The image above shows you the different levels available to upload documents, and there is a summary below of the relevant details to each level.
- Midwinter - these are default documents that have been uploaded by Midwinter that are available to all Users. Generally these consist of our latest release notes & relevant changes to the AOS product.
- Licensee - any documents uploaded at the Licensee level are available to all Users within all Practices within that specific Licensee. This may be relevant changes the dealergroup wants all Practices to be aware of, for instance recent legislation changes or important news impacting all businesses. These are the most widely visible files with all Users under that Licensee able to see the files.
- Practice - similar to Licensee however the next step down, these documents will be available for all Users within the Practice. Other Practice's under that same Licensee will not have visibility of documents uploaded here. This may be useful for Practice specific documents such as FSGs, Privacy Policies etc.
- User - these are documents specific to an individual User, think of it as an area within AOS you can upload files or important documents that you wish to have ongoing access to that aren't relevant to any specific client but may come up as a talking point or a document you need to access.
Note - click on the small triangle to open up the level below as required.
What folders a User can view is all dependent on their access level when originally set up in AdviceOS.
There are three levels of access for each User; Dealergroup (Licensee), Practice & User. If you are unsure of what access level you have, or should have, please discuss with your Office Manager or reach out to the Support team at Midwinter.
Dealergroup Access - The highest level of access available, users with this level of access will be able to view all files uploaded within every section by all individuals (ie all DG files, all files within each Practice under that DG, and all files uploaded by all Users under every Practice).
Practice Access - Someone with Practice level access will be able to view all files within the Dealergroup, all files within their Practice, and all files uploaded by all Users within their Practice.
User Access - The least amount of access available, these Users will have access to all DG files, all files uploaded within their Practice, and all files within their own file. They will not be able to view the files of other Users within their Practice.
In the above image, you have a few buttons available:
- Here you can determine at what level you wish to review or upload the documents (ie Licensee, Practice, User)
- Once the document is available, you can open or save this file whenever required
- The action button allows you to replace, view history or delete this file
- You can upload a new document when required
- If needed, you can zip and download all files uploaded in this location - see below a notification pop up that will appear on the process here.
- Finally, you can export a full list of these documents as details
Here is the screenshot that will appear if you wish to zip and download these files:
2. User Templates
User Templates section of AdviceOS is used to upload and store all templated documents.
As a starting point, the best way to understand this section is by reviewing the Midwinter default templates that are provided to you. We have over 60 different templates available that may be relevant to your business, including files such as:
- Statement of Advice or Record of Advice
- Reverse Fact Finds
- FDS & FTA
- Transaction reports, review reports and portfolio performance reports
- Letter templates
While you have access to these default templates, you are not limited to only these and can create your own customised templates.
This section of the user guide covers only understanding and navigating this area of AdviceOS.
For further information on how to create your own custom templates, please scroll further down this guide to the Template Guide & Mini-code section.
Similar to the User documents above, the User Templates consists of four relevant levels, which includes Midwinter > Licensee > Practice > Adviser. Depending on the level a template can be found will impact who within your business can see the template.
Midwinter - These templates are the default Midwinter files uploaded and made available to all users as part of their access to AdviceOS at no additional charge. They have been designed as standard documents suitable for most circumstances. These cannot be removed or changed and are managed by the Midwinter template team. They can be downloaded and used as a starting point for your own customised templates so that you do not need to start with a blank document. All users have access to these templates.
Licensee - Documents uploaded to the Licensee level are visible to all Users within all Practices under that Licensee.
Practice - The next step down, only those within a specific Practice will have visibility of these templates. Other Practices under the same Licensee will not be able to see these templates.
User - Templates uploaded at the User level are only visible for that specific user.
The above will also depend on the Access level set for an individual Users profile.
- Those with Dealergroup access will be able to view all templates at the Licensee, Practice & User level.
- Those with Practice access will be able to view all templates at the Licensee level, only their own Practice, but all users within their Practice
- Those with User access will only be able to view templates at the Licensee level, their own Practice, and their own User templates.
Navigation for this section of AOS is a similar layout to the User Documents section.
- You can choose what level of templates you wish to review, in the example below we are looking at the default Midwinter templates. Clicking this button allows you to view Licensee, Practice or User documents.
- On the left you can download/save the file, or select the Action button to replace, remove or view the history of this document
- On the right you can export a list of all templates, or upload a new template
- You can also filter any of the columns to search for a specific template
How to upload a new template to AdviceOS
If you have created a template that you wish to upload to AdviceOS, first ensure you are uploading to the correct level (Licensee, Practice, User).
Click on the upload button, and it will ask you to select the file you wish to upload.
A new popup will appear, as below:
You can determine the name and description of the file.
You then need to choose the Plan Type and Plan Sub Type, and whether it is for a single or not (where applicable). The Plan type & sub-type have a direct impact on the location within AdviceOS that your template can be generated from, so ensure you upload the document to the correct location. For additional details, please review the Template Guide & mini-code section.
Custom Advice Documents
While Midwinter has provided all Practices with the standard advice document templates at no additional charge, this may not always be the ideal option for your Practice.
There are two levels of additional service that Midwinter provide their clients, so that they can receive the customiation and management they require at a cost that suits their business.
- Managed Advice Documents - additional customisation to the standard advice document templates for a low monthly fee, including SOA, ROA, FDS and Fact Find documents. This is a great option for Practices and AFSLs looking for a simple way to manage their advice documents at an affordable price.
- Custom Advice Documents - one-off customisation services or a fully customised template developed by Midwinter's expert templating team on a statement of work basis perfect for large Practices and ASFLs that need a fully customised solution.
Template Guide & Mini Codes
If rather than using the Midwinter template team to assist with the creation of your customised templates, but would instead prefer to use the existing Midwinter Templates as a base structure and make basic configuration at your own discretion, we have provided you with resources to assist.
These basic configurations may include changes such as:
- Adding and removing logos or signatures to documents
- Minor grammatical changes
- Formatting and style
- Including additional minicodes as required
At the bottom of this user guide you will find two files, the Basic Template Guide which provides you with all relevant information on understanding templating and how to create your own templates along with the List of mini codes which is an excel file with all relevant mini codes that can be incorporated within your templates.
Please note that these types of customisations are entirely at the discretion of the Practice or Licensee, for additional assistance when customising templates please see the two above services Midwinter provides within the Custom Advice Documents section of this user guide.
3. User Template Links
The User Template Links section of AdviceOS allows you to connect recommendations (advice text) to content controls in the SOA. This is reflected when using the auto-suggest button in PlanBuilder.
This can be accessed via Settings > Templates and Field Management > User Template Links.
Template links can be edited at the dealergroup, practice or user level within AdviceOS. This can be changed by selecting the template owner field.
You can also Copy or Replace links that are pre-existing or have already been created.
How to create template links
The steps involved in creating links are included here, however the attached Basic Template Guide goes into more detail and should be referred to if you want to complete this process.
- Select the level where the template is located you wish to create links for.
- Select the specific template in the drop down field
- Select the recommendation
- Tick the boxes that are applicable in the available links and then save the template
Note that in order to successfully complete the above process, you will need (1) the appropriate access permissions to edit the template, (2) have appropriate templates available, (3) create the appropriate advice text within Settings > Financial Planning Configurations > Advice Text